Award Name: Grieg Aspnes Memorial Award
Award Amount: up to $2,000.00
Purpose: The Grieg Aspnes Memorial Award is in honor of Grieg Aspnes, a talented librarian at Cargill, a past president of the Special Libraries Association, and an active leader in its Minnesota Chapter, Information Technology and Advertising Divisions, and Education Committee. Grieg was also a strong advocate of the information profession and was a guest lecturer in the library schools at St. Catherine’s and the University of Minnesota. This award, made only to the College of St. Catherine, is funded by the Minnesota Chapter of the Special Libraries Association and the Cargill Information Center for the purpose of encouraging the recipient to pursue a career in special librarianship. The College of St. Catherine expresses its appreciation to the Aspnes family, the Minnesota Chapter of SLA and Cargill for providing this grant award.
Either full-time or part-time students, enrolled in the College of St. Catherine Masters of Library and Information Science program and who will graduate in December of the award year or later
The award will be given to the applicant who best shows the following characteristics:
- Interest in special librarianship, as shown by course selection or past experience;
- Leadership abilities, demonstrated in either academic or extracurricular activities;
- Overall academic achievements.
- The Award review process will take place annually; however, there is no requirement that the award be given every year.
- Applications will not carry over from one year to the next. The work of the Awards Committee is confidential, and as such, all documentation will be destroyed after the annual selection process.
- A member of the Awards Committee or appointed representative will solicit applications in the spring of each year through the chapter bulletin, web page, discussion list and announcements at Chapter Meetings.
- The deadline for application is three weeks following the last day of classes at the College of St. Catherine. The date will be announced on this web site.
Students who are interested in applying should submit a letter addressing the judging criteria listed above, a resume, and a copy of their transcript of courses in library and information science to:
Dr. Deborah Grealy, Associate Dean
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue m.s. 4125
St. Paul, MN 55105
The deadline for application is May 24th, 2010
The Award will be formally presented at the September 2010 meeting of the Minnesota Chapter.
Elizabeth (Liz) Mead Cavert, 2009
Erin Perry, 2008
Margaret Ostrander, 2007
Donald Lorr, 2006
here to download the PowerPoint presentation used at the first Awards
ceremony on October 5th, 2005.
here for donation information.
/ Communications / Chapter
Business / About / Search
MN SLA / MN SLA Home / SLA